Monday, August 29, 2011

Canteen Scene

Lunch time can be a pleasant surprise or a grim revelation with respect to the contents of the tiffin box for students. Much as we want, mothers never forget to pack lunch for the apple of their eyes. But has that ever stopped us from hankering after food available in and around our school? The very idea of buying from school canteens and hawkers is so cool that we don’t really bother about taste and hygiene.

I remember buying candy from hawkers even in Nursery. There was a long candy that came wrapped in a plastic sheet with yellow and transparent stripes. It looked like a little pillar with a ribbon round it. It was nothing but sugar, of course. Then there was the little orange candies shaped like orange segments. I still buy those sweet sour lozenges. And last but not the least, were Phantom cigarettes. These were smooth white sugar sticks, with a little red at the end to suggest a live cigarette. We would feel real cool holding them between our fingers. In retrospect, they tasted icky sweet.

Apart from that, I have already given details about the icelollies, dalmot and masala tamarind of Tura. I have never really experienced a proper school canteen, except the one in KV no.1, Delhi Cantonment. I remember buying alu bonda, samosa, and bread pakoda there. It helped that nobody was there to supervise, since I was staying in boarding. But the most delectable item in that canteen was a gur barfi. Shaped like a perfect dice, this one and a half inch cube was a medley of deep red and orange. I used to eat dozens a day! The canteen guy would keep running out of them so we would place special orders secretly. If another group found out about them, we had to share! So we would smuggle the stuff into our dormitories over the hostel wall. That was sure a lot of fun, and back then we would discuss how nutritious jaggery was for the body.

Let me know your experiences in your school canteen. I am sure you have some stories to share too. I would be happy to hear them!

6 comments:

  1. I remember the ice lollies, were like 75p and came in different colours; and there was this pista kulfi! I used to get them before catching my school bus. Gosh they seem like ages ago!!

    There was also this bakery right in front of my school... I used to get those masala breads, dunno what it is called. Every saturdays - the only day where we had time till the bus came.

    But all this was only till I was in 7th std. I started to cycle to school from 8th and by then I had become that picky choosy person - having issues with everything from water they used, to I saw a fly in the shop! Crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Archie! Its so cute to think of you as a kid running after pista kulfi. And yeah, it was fun before we grew up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even I used to buy stuff outside my school....der was this old person selling berries which tasted sour...I have no idea what they were...but they were good...I used to buy it Rs 2!!
    N then once I went to Jakarta I experienced an awesome canteen which was like a mini food court....but then still while coming back home me n my friends used to take tempe goreng (fried soya bean) for Rp 1000 dat is Rs 5 of India...all done secretly!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anks! I think those sour things were 'ber' or 'bogori' (Assamese). Back in my time, we used to get a whole bagfull for two rupees! I remember you raving about your school canteen. And you got me tempe goreng too. I liked it a lot! You must miss it now! But I think you guys have one of the best canteens in DU right now. Njoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I guess it was 'ber'!!
    well I do miss my school canteen a lot....but then ur ryt....our college canteen has again been ranked the best canteen in DU for 2011..!!
    so totally enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well that makes me proud too, since I went to the same college...I like to believe that I paved the way for better food!! :-)

    ReplyDelete