Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Caribbean Dream


 I am just back from a Caribbean holiday. My limbs are still orange and brown. My luggage still has sand. There is coconut water in my blood and my flesh has turned fishy, I had so much! Jealous? Go ahead, turn green. I totally understand. But don’t fret. I know I didn’t take you with me, but I can bring a few slices to you to taste. So, this month, my efforts are to paint the pages of my blog Caribbean.

When the word “Caribbean” comes to mind, a lot of words come to mind too. Its amazing how much is packed into that word. For a tourist “Caribbean” would mean sea, sun tans, massages, coconuts, bikinis (for the men tourists), beaches, sand, sea food and cocktails. For an adventurous sportsperson it would be swimming, scuba diving, surfing and para sailing. For a child, it would be sand castles, playing in the sea, imitating pirates. For a historian it would be studying the ‘chcheena jhapti’ that went on for centuries in this area by colonial powers. For an oceanographer it would be the marine life, the corals and clams, the tectonic plates and maybe some kind of spoons too. Phew! I am sure there is more.
 
So, Caribbean isn’t just a word, or a group of islands, or a hot holiday destination, it’s a whole concept. Personally, I am always reminded of “Pirates of the Caribbean” and “The Treasure Island.” Hence, I have decided to review both this month. Apart from that, I can’t help sighing each time I remember my lovely trip to Cartagena. So, if you want some vicarious pampering, read on. And if you yourself have some Caribbean experiences, please tell me. I am all ears and you are welcome!


If you called again I would leave
For your treasures are dearer to me
Carry me in your tide again
Take me away, O’ Caribbean
Take me away with thee

4 comments:

  1. Caribbean definitely reminds me of beaches n the movie Pirates Of Caribbean!!
    You actually get to go there....I have only heard abt it so much!!
    And lemme tell you.....The pictures clicked are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Reyansh, the beaches were fine, so fine...still miss them! The photographer inside me was jumping around like a kid! So I am glad you like the pics. You know, I never knew I would be goin there...so you never know when you will land up there. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing pictures....awesome place!!
    So lucky of you to have gone there Jo!!
    Even I have stayed in Jakarta for 4 years where there was a rock beach ryt near our school...n for us the beach was a place to relax n hang out together after school....!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Anks, now I am jealous! A school with a beach! Thats reaaaaaaaaally cool!

    ReplyDelete