Monday, October 3, 2011

Kicking About!




 If I could ever play a sport professionally, it would be football. The adrenaline rush, the energy, the ever building tempo of the game, the togetherness of the team, I feel it’s a sport that can fill you with life. I haven’t had many girls sharing this sentiment with me. Especially in India, where Cricket is the unofficial national game now. 

Many of you might wonder why football. Hey! I played football too! And don’t you dare give me stuff like “Girls playing football?” As a little girl I was the only kid with a football in my circle, which by the way included several boys. And my shots were famous. They would cover half the field. We even had code names for different types of passes. Just to get a professional feel.

Me and my Dad used to play a lot of football. He taught me lots of passes and moves. Although I never got to play a real game with goal posts, I remember those times in the park. Given a chance, I would have definitely joined an official team, but sadly, in India, that’s not easy to come by. However, last month, I did get a chance to see a World Cup match, here in Medellin. So, I am doing an event review this month. I have chosen the movie, “Bend It Like Beckham,” for the movie review. For a restaurant review, I have a guest who will relate his experiences in the “Sports Bar.” 

 
We could learn a few lessons from this game. Obeying rules, manipulating them, but not breaking them and a never-say-die attitude. Working in a team towards a common goal (literally), supporting each other and making decisions in the heat of the toughest moment. Trying all that in life, we could get pretty far. Let’s try that this month!





All is blur but the post
And the billowing nets behind
So thorn in your limb
Or dust in my eyes
Comrades, let’s score one more!

4 comments:

  1. This month's gonna be fun!!!
    I love the movie "Bend it like Beckham"!
    And yes football is fun to watch....its fast n energetic...no time to get bored!!
    But I cant play it....its a fact! :-(
    Its too rough n aggressive....and I cannot be both!!
    but its fun to watch...n lemme say the players are HOT ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The players ARE hot, aren't they? Just wait till I put up some pics of them!! You'll flip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so totally waiting to "flip" looking at the players!!!
    N yes its fun to watch football...better then cricket for which Indians are mad about!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :-D I too find Cricket very tedious, Samentha. But what to do?

    ReplyDelete