Thursday, November 24, 2011

Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights


If you are not sure whether you are definitely in love or not, if mundane practicality is interfering with your romantic side, read this book. Find out what a simple decision of choosing practicality over gut-wrenching true love can lead to.

Catherine and Heathcliff’s love for each other was nothing pretty or mushy. In fact, it was as hard as the rocks in the moors where they grew up together. But it was true. Catherine says it best in the following excerpt:

“If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it.—My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods: time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees. My love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath: a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I am Heathcliff! He's always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself, but as my own being.”

This was Emily Bronte’s only book and a masterpiece immediately. This is a gothic novel about a gypsy Heathcliff adopted into a family but mistreated by his foster brother. And when Catherine chooses Linton over him because of his low stature, he wreaks revenge on all after returning rich and educated. Catherine and Heathcliff are unforgettable as characters. The entire novel has a creepiness that makes you watch over the shoulder. Whether its little Catherine asking to be let in, in Lockwood’s dream or when Heathcliff fervently wishes that Catherine would wake from her death in torment and haunt him!

No comments:

Post a Comment