Friday, December 9, 2011

Merry Christmas!



I fell in love with Christmas when I was a kid. Sometimes I feel it appealed to me not just because of the excitement but also because it was mysterious. Technically, it wasn’t my festival. I am a Hindu. But I had seen a lot of Christmas in London, and I was too young for my mother to explain that God was divided. So she played along. For me, she had to bake a cake with snowy white icing, roast a chicken stuffed with onion, bake potatoes and boil vegetables and make some thick gravy too.

Meanwhile, I was more than ready a week before Christmas with my miniature plastic pine tree, little shiny balls and stars to hang on it and clean stockings to hang on Christmas Eve. And I begged my mother for the cotton which would be my fake snow. As I grew up my collection of decorations grew too, to my mother’s consternation. Satin ribbons, shiny wrapping paper, with which I even wrapped a few Alphabet blocks to put under the tree. 

And at night I would wait, for just a shuffle of clothing against the wall, a rustle of plastic wrappers or a jingle of a reindeer bell. But I never heard anything! I remember asking about how Santa would come to fill my stocking, since we didn’t have a chimney. The answer I got was that Santa had a magical golden key which could open any modern day door. The presents had to come, one way or another.

After I was old enough to understand who the real Santa was, my enthusiasm didn’t ebb. I just started thinking aloud what I wanted in my stocking, so that my parents could hear it. I didn’t always get what I wanted but every Christmas morning my heart surged happily when I saw the bulge in my stocking. 

The bells are jingling
Hail Christmas morning
There is magic in the air
And warmth in the winter frost !

4 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas!!!
    I love christmas......the gifts....the delicious food.....n yes even my mother cooks up amazing roasted chicken n gravy!!
    This is the time when I feel amazing to be a christian!!!
    Me n my brother sit n decorate the whole house...after the mass on christmas eve we wait eagerly for the gifts!!...We never really showed that we knew that who the real santa is ;-)
    Merry Christmas again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Merry Christmas to you too. I never had any Christian friends or else I would have camped at their place on this lovely night. This truly is an amazing time. Hope you have all the fun this year round too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even I love to celebrate Christmas!!
    I have a similar plastic pine tree....n my sister taught me very well how to decorate the tree!!
    And I have to force my mom to make the roasted chicken from weeks ago!!
    This year christmas is gonna be even more special...coz I have got two Christian friends this time!!...one of them is gonna prepare rum cakes for us!!
    I love the festival!!...Sam dont worry ur gonna have a fun time in ur first Christmas in Delhi!!
    Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! Hope you guys have fun in Delhi this time being together on Christmas. Meanwhile, I am gonna flooad this blog with how it happens here in Medellin.

    ReplyDelete