Monday, February 13, 2012

Frenchman's Creek by Daphne du Maurier


What could be more romantic than falling in love with a pirate who is as charming as any gentleman? In a sentence, that is the story of ‘Frenchman’s Creek,’ a novel by Daphne du Maurier, the author of ‘Rebecca.’ I have read romances in my time, but none can appeal to me more than this one right now. The heroine Dona is a married woman with two children. She is the rich wife, whose husband is slower than her, unmindful of the mild flirtation his friend Rockingham carries on with Dona. Bored of her life in London, Dona takes her two children and comes to Navaron, her husband’s property on the Cornish coast. And while trying to have some peace, she stumbles upon an adventure. She discovers that a French pirate, who has been terrorizing the neighbourhood has been hiding right on her property. When Dona tries to investigate further, she gets captured, only to discover that the pirate is a very educated, cultured person, who, just like her has taken to piracy only because of boredom. Dona joins his crew and has the time of her life. But her fun is short lived, as she realizes her responsibilities and refuses to sail away with her love. 

The story is an escape to a fantasy, which is ridiculously unlikely to happen. Daphne du Maurier herself wrote it at a time when she was overwhelmed by the worldly responsibilities of life. But its her. Her genius is felt in the suspense and the words chosen to create the romance. The impact I felt was a languid drowsiness that I let caress me like the winds on the Cornish coast. Dona is a woman who is present in each one of us women. She is the one who rebels against norms that patriarchal societies have bound her with and yearns for the same freedom that men save for themselves. 

Unfortunately, I am really happily married and the pirate I love is sitting in this room even as I type. So, I never get to do anything illegally exciting. But we’ve had our share of adventures. We still do, when the ordinariness of life springs unexpected surprises at us now and then.

2 comments:

  1. I have read this book n its fantastic!!
    The way she realizes her dreams n falls in love is portrayed beautifully!! And then the whole thing of responsibilities holding her back brings the readers back to reality!!
    Well I know Jo you still must be having your share of adventures in your day to day life!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read this book when I was a teenager. I think that added to the romantic feeling. And thanks for your comment, anks!

      Delete