Monday, February 20, 2012

Loving and Fooding!


I know that to make a dinner romantic, all you need is two pairs of clasped hands and two pairs of eyes mirrored in each other. The food could be caviar and champagne or two cans of coke and bread pakode. However, when you plan to take out a loved one for dinner, you want a quiet place, that fills your mood with romance. So, I looked at the most romantic restaurants that I have been to in the three cities that I have spent my life in, after the arrival of romance. Let me add that none of the restaurants I am talking about here are expensive, very handy for college goers or those who have just started drawing their salares.

New Delhi: Pebble Street

A pebbled street in Santa Fe, Colombia
It seems a long time ago that I used to go here. My first time was when I was fresh on my second job. Ever since I have recommended it to many people, and have had many dates with my beau then. Sometimes, visiting places here in Colombia remind me of this little place, because the floor is literally made of cut stones, resembling an actual pebble street. And many of the Spanish settlements of the olden days had the same for roads. So, the ambience gets a lot of marks for resembling like an old European colony. I remember dressing up in a long skirt and a peasant top once, to feel even more authentic. And don’t worry, the food is fantastic too. My favourite order used to be Mushy Buttons, a plateful of mushrooms filled with cheese along with a very spicy dip. Apart from continental, the menu also comprises of Indian and South-East Asian. I remember my Dad ordered Indonesian food there! You can check out the menu here. And now the best part: they serve liquor. Find out the time for happy hours!

Bangalore: Bewhaha

Whoever came up with this concept is an absolute genius. Yes, it is not just a cafĂ© but also a concept. You don’t just get food for your tummy here, but for your brains too! You can choose to rent from sixty-five different board games, which you can enjoy while you munch on sandwiches, pakode, samosa or sip on the likes of Calvin Brew Milkshake (absolutely naughty and yummy!) or the Pan Galactic Gurgle Blaster. The service is tailor made for you to feel cool and cared for. There is even a person who helps you select a game and I have heard they also arrange for hobby workshops and hip-hop classes. The area is very near to Jyoti Nivas College and several offices, so that the crowd is always nice. Along with tables and chairs, they also have floor sitting, where you would often catch a big college crowd chilling out with a board game. Don’t fret, there are games for two people too. Just check this place out with your chosen one. And if you are alone, there are a range of books too!

Medellin: Bon Vent

Parque Lleras
At first glance, this is just an Italian fast food place. I have ordered pizzas from here, especially for my vegan friends, and they have loved it. Its difficult to find vegan food in this city. So, the reason I visited the place last night was for the thin but soft pizza crust. And I was pleasantly surprised. Its a small place tucked away in one of the corners of Parque Lleras. There are only five tables, only one person to wait on all and probably only one cook inside, but the food is lovely and inexpensive! We ordered a simple pepperoni pizza and a portion of wings in barbecue sauce and savored every bite. Their pizzas are square in shape; I found that easier to pick up. The romantic part is that the seating opens out into the pavement, which appeared to be less busy than other lanes of Parque Lleras. So, on a cool summer night, there is you and your bright eyes and good food. What else do you want? Oh, yes! Every place here serves liquor. There was a whole rack of wine bottles!

If you are in any of these cities and happen to take my advice about any of the above restaurants, lemme know if you liked them.

2 comments:

  1. Well I have been to Pebble Street....thanks to my sister she took me there for the first time....its a fantastic place with delicious food....n the best part is its setting n ambiance!!
    I would love to try the other restaurants too!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe your sis will take you to the other restaurants too! Pester her...they are great places :-D

    ReplyDelete