Monday, April 16, 2012

Back in Teekhi Delhi!


My sincerest apologies for the sudden absence. Being a human being, sometimes the world around me demands and I simply have to supply. Without any more fanfare, let me tell you that I am now in Delhi. Delhiites and people who have been to Delhi would know that this is not a city one takes lightly. Millions of people have tried their luck here for hundreds of years. It’s the perfect place for a reality check. The crowd here is rough, rude and ever increasing. Itcan trample on your dreams quite painfully.But, after a month of being shoved and pulled around, you realize that it doesn’t matter anymore. And suddenly, you are one of the mob, standing and watching a nervous newbie complain about the crowd. And you don’t have the time to console this person.

And soon, you get a new feeling. Like nothing can stop you from reaching what you want. Whether, its the soaring temperatures in summer or the biting chills of Delhi winter, you find that you are still delivering, still functioning, still very much enjoying too.

I almost grew up in Delhi. Did my college from DU. I am back after six years. Some of the gigantic changes that I am witnessing shock me, others surprise me pleasantly, and still others leave me nostalgic. How did I live without bhalla papdi, bhel puri, gol gappa, I wonder? How did I shop when it wasn’t Sarojini Nagar, Karol Bagh or Janpath, I ponder? But I am back, and am enjoying every taste, khatti, meethi and lots of teekhi!

Kismat ko aazmaane
Tere dar pe aaye hai hum
Gar Dilli dilwalon ki hai
To sapne dekhenge hum
Inhe na tod deejiye
Tere nakhre uthaenge hum

8 comments:

  1. Hey Jo...Its gr8 to see you writing your blogs again....I was waiting!!!
    Delhi....love of my life!!
    This is the place I understood the meaning of living life....that how nobody has time for anyone...how a person can be rude n still not mean something wicked about you!!
    The golgappas...the papdi chaat....n all the other street food....shopping n everything else....I mean everything about this city is so full of LIFE!!!
    But now I have moved out of Delhi....but after reading your blog I am tempted to come back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the warm welcome back, Samentha. There are very few people who have come to Delhi and haven't fallen in love with the place. You must be missing Delhi, but don't worry...there's loads to be seen about Delhi on my blog this month. Keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am born n brought up in Delhi.....a true Delhiite n I am proud to be one!!!
    Welcome back to Delhi Jo...I know you are gonna enjoy your days here again with all the new developments Delhi has seen!! The junk shopping here, the street side food n everything else!
    This city definitely teaches people how to live through times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so true about the city... you feel alive.. the summer makes you strong and the winter makes you smart.. the city makes you alive.. and the street food.. amazing.. and yes.. its a shocker for anyone who goes there after a long time.. i met one guy in a bud from Ireland who had been on some sort of world tour.. he said, everywhere he went, he had to go out and explore.. but when he landed at IGI.. "Delhi came rushing to my face".. dat says it.. lovely place and beautiful write ups.. looking forward to more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty good way to describe Delhi, Ati Ghumakkad! Its still rushing on me.

      Delete
  5. Delhi changes every day.. It’s the most versatile city I have ever seen.. If you do not travel a road for six month ... it’s a new place for you when you next drop in there.. That is Delhi..
    People changes.. Thoughts changes.. Whether changes.. Even the street food changes (did you had tried Chinese chat).. Each new day its entirely a new place to be in..Aptly kept the name NEW DELHI never going to be old..
    So keep experiencing and writing on ever growing but always getting younger “DELHI”..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I 'm enjoying the changes in Delhi, Gary. And thanks for the info abut the Chinese chat.!

      Delete